Monday, October 12, 2020

PART I - My White Privilege


White privilege !  Who me?  Nonsense.   I was born and raised on the far southside of Chicago - the son of a steelworker who never finished his sophomore year of high school;  brought up with a set of working-class, Christian values.  The phrases "Keep your nose clean!" or "Straighten out and fly right!" were common during my upbringing.  In so many respects I, along with others of my demographic, were naive and therefore accepted the norms of of what decades later have been identified as "white privilege".   But up until the past few years, I have come to know that I have always been a member of that group.  
I now  accept that as fact.  

This blog - or more aptly a diary - will chronicle various life events that were examples of white privilege but were never understood as such until recently.

Whether someone reads this or not is less important to me than the positive effects it will have on me by expressing my awakenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment